Truth Dealer - Be in the Know

Physiology Fundamentals: Back To Basics.

Different Metabolic rates(BMR, RMR,..) and how to Calculate Daily Energy(calorie) Requirements and Expenditure. Part 2.

Check outPart 1 & Part 3 of this Series

Throwing the guesswork out of the window, let's see what science and laboratory research has to say about RMR and DEE. Internal organs are the major consumers of energy, 60% of our RMR is spent on maintaining the bare minimum vital stats. Hearts gotta pump, livers gotta oxidize, kidneys got to filter, intestines gotta absorb and brain/CNS got to generate electric impulses no matter what. So, any formula dealing with BMR has to include the weight of organs into the equation, larger the organs larger their energy needs.
Muscle tissues burn 6 calories per pound just being there, whereas fat is the least metabolically active at 2-3 calories per pound. Unless you're carrying more than 100 lbs. of fat (200-300 extra calories burned daily) it can be deemed insignificant. ( all the values are for a 24 hour period)

There is also this notion floating around the Internet that taller people have way bigger RMR than shorter people even if they carry the same amount of muscle or weigh the same! totally unfair! It is just an extension of another fallacy and catchphrase of "bodybuilding”: TONS OF MUSCLES = METABOLIC OVERDRIVE! GET BIG TO GET SHREDDED! and the like.
You see how ideas get compounded and increasingly ludicrous if the fundamental argument is flawed. We suffer daily from such entrenched compounded stupidity without even realizing it.

Oh well, taller people have bigger organs, bigger bones and more fluids resulting in a naturally larger Lean Body weight ( the weight of everything except Fat in our bodies) and as stated earlier LBW is the major contributor towards RMR, not fat. Many research papers cite Lean body Mass as the most reliable indicator of RMR with up to 90% accuracy. The rest 10% of the RMR is genetic lottery (hormonal profile/gut profile). Calculate your LBW here After some statistical wizardy, the most accurate yet easy to calculate formula for resting metabolic rate (RMR) pans out to be: RMR = 10 x LBW (lbs) or 22 x LBW (kg) .

what about DEE then? Well, DEE = RMR + FAEE (food assimilation energy expenditure) + AEE (activity energy expenditure).
To calculate our daily energy expenditure we need to add FAEE and AEE into our RMR value we just got from the aforementioned formula. Coming to FAEE now, Carbohydrates take 5% of their energy content for digestion/absorption (assimilation) and Fats about 2% so we can Neglect them with certainty when considering FAEE, but Protein has a considerable expense of 25-30%! For example, if you're eating 100 grams of protein daily, amounting to 400 Calories worth of energy intake; 25% of it i.e. 100 calories would be spent in assimilating it (breaking the proteins into 20 distinct amino acid profiles is a lot of work). The workaround to this is use 3 Calorie per Gram for Protein on the Energy Intake side of the equation rather than adding 25% of the total calories from pro tein as the FAEE. Neat trick, ain’t it?

Coming to AEE, there's a lot to say. If you're not completely bedridden and take care of yourself on your own, you can easily use the "sedentary" multiplier of 1.2 on your RMR score. If you're a physical worker or have to be on your feet for hours, I would suggest making note of how many Hours you're really working/walking/exercising and then use specific calorie spent/minute multipliers to get an accurate figure for your AEE (i'll adress these multipliers in a bit). At last, the equation will look like DEE = RMR x 1.2 + AEE. I’m going to make it even simpler by adjusting that 1.2 multiplier in the RMR equation because c’mon we all wipe our asses, wash daily and get our hearts racing doing our THANG! Yup, videogames and porn count as well.

Finally: DEE = 12 x LBW (lbs.) + AEE. Short and sweet, right? now we just have to calculate AEE. well, calculating AEE is all about ratios. And after a lot of data crunching and extrapolation, I’ve devised a system of my own which is unparalleled in terms of accuracy and comprehensiveness.
Here we go! You can classify various activity/intensity levels with different approaches like % percentage of Maximum Heart Rate (MHR), Perceived Effort Scale (1-9), and Lactate Threshold division. I’ve taken into consideration all of these three methods. Calculating Maximum Heart rate(MHR) is easy. Putting Age in [220- Age (males)] and [227- Age (females)] will give MHR. A 27 year old lady would have a MHR of 227-27 = 200 Beats Per Minute = 200 bpm. You can use various free Apps avilable on smartphones to monitor your heart rates. Get one handy, we will use MHR and the other methods in the 3rdpart to calculate AEE.


Check outPart 1 & Part 3 of this Series

If you liked this article, please do share on Facebook